This weekend we decided to start another phase of sleep training with Miles. The need for a new naptime/bedtime approach has been accelerated by the fact that the swaddling blanket, no matter how tight, cannot contain him. This is problematic only because once his arms are free, he pulls out his pacifier and starts to wail. So, we have to start slowly teaching him to either fall asleep without the pacifier, or to stop pulling it out once his arms are free.
For this morning's nap, I put him down swaddled without the pacifier, but he just couldn't soothe himself to sleep. I went in and checked on him and he was really fighting to get his arms out. So, I loosened the blanket and pulled out one of his arms. And he unplugged his mouth. I let him cry for a minute or two, went in and replaced the pacifier and he went to sleep in just a few seconds. He woke up about 30 minutes later and was cooing. Since I hadn't yet finished my coffee (and wanted just a few more minutes of peace), I decided to let him stay in his crib as long as he didn't get upset.
When he finally did make a little yell, about 15 minutes later, this is the train wreck I found:
No comments:
Post a Comment