Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Back to Sleep

I prepared myself for the worst last night at bedtime and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get him down. I spent a little more time rocking and singing than usual to make sure he was really sleepy and set him down in his crib. He didn't cry, just looked around a bit. A little later, I could tell by the sounds coming from his baby monitor that he was on the move. He wasn't unhappy, so I just let him roam. Then the sounds dropped off and I peeked in to check and called Jesse over. He had passed out on his stomach in the corner of the crib, in what looked like mid-crawl. I thought, oh how cute, he's so tired. So, I picked him up and turned him over and shut the door. 

After baking a batch of cookies with Jesse, I poked my head in to check on him and he was on his stomach again. So, I picked him up and turned him over. He was sleeping pretty hard and barely made a noise. Jesse and I watched a TV show and I went in to check on him one last time. Yep, on his stomach again. I flipped him to his back and called Jesse in and we watched as Miles arched his back, grabbed the sheets and flipped himself on his stomach. AGAIN. I was a nervous wreck, having the SIDS campaign drilled into my head and decided to sleep (or not) in the guest bedroom. After about two hours of him grunting and moaning and crying, I couldn't take it anymore and went back to my own bed. I didn't sleep very much, but Miles sure did. It was his first 8 hour stretch in a very long time. 

Jesse and I keep telling ourselves that he's clearly strong enough and if he wants to sleep on his stomach, there's not much that we can do about it. That only makes me feel slightly better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment