This week I started giving Miles a spoon to hold while eating. Not that I expected him to actually do anything other than chew on the handle and chuck food across the room. I've been helping him shovel food on it for a couple of days but he mostly just lifted it in the air, dumping food on his head. However, yesterday I came home to Miles eating his own ice pop with Jesse following their afternoon jog. Until yesterday, he was unable to understand that you hold the little handle to prevent your fingers from freezing. As a result, popsicles were very frustrating for all parties involved. Now though, they are a treat, as they should be.
Miles happily gnawed on his homemade watermelon and pineapple pop while Jesse happily ate (and shared) his frozen coconut treat. Miles also liked sharing, maybe even more than eating it himself. As any good dad should, Jesse happily sampled the soggy, runny ice pop and gave up a good portion of his coconut treat to Miles' fingers, and subsequently his hair. We were both pretty amazed at how he seemingly woke up one morning and knew how to use his hands.
With that in mind, I decided to try a little experiment at dinner. I put a bowl and a spoon on his tray for him to use while he ate. We put pieces of chicken and tofu in the bowl and I expected him to promptly dump it on his head or the floor. But miraculously, he picked up the pieces from the bowl and put them in his mouth. Then, I showed him how to scoop little pieces of chicken with the spoon and pretended to put them in my mouth. He grabbed the spoon and shoveled the food in. Without help! He did it a few more times, mostly turning the spoon upside down before actually getting it there. However, we now know he has the coordination to give it a try (at least a few times) before getting frustrated and clearing his tray onto the floor.
I didn't get a video because it happened so fast, but trust me, this is huge! A video soon to come no doubt.
No comments:
Post a Comment